The new platform has been online for about two weeks now! Our team has been impressed with how servers are starting to take advantage of our new features.
We’ve fixed countless bugs and made several quality-of-life improvements over the past week. In this post, we’re going to show some of our vision while updating you on what’s been going on.
Our goal with server pages is to help you promote your server to new browsing users. It’s also a great blog system to inform members of things going on. Remember you don’t have to do this alone. You can add people that love to write to your team and have them write up some posts. Does your server have a historian?
Here are some ideas of how you might use the blog system:
Post about events your server hosts. Have a planned game night, movie night, or other themed night? Perfect, this allows browsing users to see structure in your server.
Show off unique features of your server. Do you have a full-fledged RPG community run by a sophisticated role-play bot? Talk about it!
Promote exciting giveaways. It’s important when running giveaways for these to be centered on things your community is passionate about. This is a surefire way to gain some attention.
Member highlights can spotlight community members that bring the community to life. This can help new users meet a friend before even joining your server. And who doesn’t like having the spotlight? Such honor! (Of course, talk to them first.)
Highlight your other community tools and resources. Does your community also live outside of Discord? Have a website where you talk about updates or have a user art gallery? Awesome. Promote it.
- There are so many more ideas. We’re excited to see what your server comes up with.
Ultimately, users are looking for quality over quantity, as this is what really shines. Down the road, we want to highlight these amazing servers more.
Here are some servers we’ve identified that are making awesome use of the blog system:
S O L L A N D
College Sports Network
Hogwarts School Of W & W
Life Needs a Little Sin
We’re aware that server pages are pretty rudimentary right now. We’ve already made some upgrades to them over the last week. However, many more upgrades are coming to them, and we’re excited to see how you and your community make use of your server page.
If you are already using the server pages, let us know. We might feature you on our new and growing Twitter and Facebook pages.
Improved Server Statistics
Statistics are very important to us and we understand they are for you and your community too. We’ve been working with our development team to improve how we are showing information. Right now on the dashboard you are seeing “visits”. These are people that have browsed your server page. We’re also working to bring Join Button statistics to the dashboard this week.
Our goal in the near future is to bring you a dashboard of information and statistics. This will take some time, but we are improving these systems behind the scenes right now.
Bot Improvements and Upgrades
Over the next few days, you may see online counts show as unavailable more frequently than usual. We’re making changes to improve our bot’s performance and pave the way for new sorting options and other features.
Improving Search and NSFW Terms
We want to change how NSFW searches work. A NSFW term should include NSFW results. It just makes sense. We’re starting to compile a list of terms that will automatically include NSFW results. If you have any suggestions, send them our way!
We hope this gives you a glimpse into where we’re focused. Without further ado, here’s the notes from 1.0.4.05.0:
- fixed and optimized how category pages load
- made various internal changes to improve website performance
- fixed an issue that could result in multiple servers claiming the same URL
- changed how online counts are retrieved to perform more reliably
- fixed various dashboard issues related to caching
- fixed several edge cases where 500 errors could occur
- increased max URL length to 24 characters
- restyled bump countdown timer to emphasize bump window functionality
- improved bump handling to be more precise
- fixed internal time sync issues
- improved invite handling to deal with large spikes in traffic better
- added another link to team management to help people discover this functionality
- increased server page character limit from 1,000 to 5,000
- fixed styling issues with server page posts
- fixed issue with delete button showing up twice in the team management panel